27.1.15

Into the Woods {Movie Review}


Into The Woods, with Meryl Streep, Emily Blunt, James Corden, Anna Kendrick, Chris Pine, and Johnny Depp     

This is my first ever movie review I've ever done, so please bare with me.

Into the Woods tells the story of iconic fairy tale characters whose lives become entangled thanks to the plotting of a malevolent witch. Hoping to lift a spell that stole her youth and beauty, the Witch (Meryl Streep) manipulates a humble baker (James Corden) and his wife (Emily Blunt) into stealing a series of notable items (the cow as white as milk, the cape as red as blood, the hair as yellow as corn, and the slipper as pure as gold). If the couple succeeds in their quest within three days, the witch promises to remove a curse from the baker’s house – a curse that has prevented his wife from bearing children.
While the Baker and his wife traverse the forest in search of the witch’s shopping list, familiar Grimm characters, including Cinderella (Anna Kendrick), Little Red Riding Hood (Lilla Crawford), Rapunzel (Mackenzie Mauzy), and Jack (Daniel Huttlestone) of Beanstalk fame, face their own perilous adventures, not to mention charming princes (Chris Pine and Billy Magnussen) in the woods. However, as each character comes face-to-face with their story book destinies – some discover that their dreams are not quite as magical as they might have previously imagined.
--courtesy of  thewatchlistshelf.wordpress.com--

I saw Into the Woods at the theaters about three... four weeks ago? Maybe more... This post is WAY overdue.

None the less I shall give you my take on it.

 My overall feel on it is: okay.

I know, that's a terrible, non-descriptive way to describe the movie! I can't think of another way to describe it in one word.

But this 'okay' is to convey more of "not very impressed" and "eh" and also even "not really worth the time". But some parts I liked. That makes it okay.

Let me explain.

To start off it's a play they made into a movie. I didn't know this before going in, and it's a musical. They all had VERY good voices. This part I liked. I love musicals, even though the songs were very repetitive at times, I still liked that part of it.

INTO THE WOODS

The first half of the movie is about the original fairy tails of the four, but together. The different stories often ran into each other during the movie. They're stories plots were somehow pasted together. That part I thought was fun and creative. The classic stories panned out perfectly in the end, just as the story's were to be.

And they lived happily ev--

The plot twists and sends you into nearly an entirely different story. Character traits come out and it puts you into a story you aren't sure what to expect.

I really liked the first half of the movie, it was fun to see the familiar fairy tails in a bit of a twist and mixed together. The second half was just plain weird.

Lots of mixed messages were in the movie as a whole, and defiantly some not good morels in it as well. Such as- "You decide what's right/You decide what's good", "Right and wrong don't matter, only feelings" and "live in the moment".


i am so in love with the costume of the wolf. oh mister depp :D

How Pluggedin movie review on "Into the Woods" ended it was with this:

The musical takes it cues from the Brothers Grimm, to be sure. Dark dangers and seductive delights clash and clang throughout. Princes seduce and cheat. Wolves lurk and lure little girls. The good guys fail and fall in sometimes fatal ways.

Yet this is perhaps the most appealingly staged and wonderfully cast piece of musical wisdom you're bound to encounter. As we hear on the song "I Know Things Now," "Even flowers have their dangers/And though scary is exciting/Nice is different than good."

A rendition of Stephen Sondheim's 1987 stage production about tumbled together fairy tales, Into the Woods is whimsical and outlandish, enchanting and thoughtful. By the final curtain it makes it plain that even in a crooked-branch storyland of wicked witches and sumptuous slippers, foolish and selfish behaviors come at a high price. Only hard work and steadfast love, we're told, can heal the heart and set the wrong things of the Woods right once again. Only good examples from parents can help children grow up and do good themselves. Only dads who stick it out can experience the joy their kids can bring.



New photo from Disney's remake of Into the Woods!  Daniel Huttlestone as Jack and Tracey Ullman as Jack's mother.  Just saying, but that cow has a spot that is DEFINITELY NOT white as milk...

*ditto* Put very well.

 But- not one of my favorite movies, and I'd say a waste of $9.

I will say it was very thought provoking and made me dig deeper into what I believe.

Did you see it? What did you think?

~Laurel






5 comments:

  1. You seriously need to do these posts more often, Laurel! I'm glad I didn't go to this in the theaters, and am thinking maybe Redbox will be more worth my money :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmmm... now I'm conflicted. I'm so dying to see this film, but... gahh! I don't know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you should see it! And tell me what you thought of it. Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  3. great review! didn't see it and i'm kinda glad i didn't now!! although anna kendrick looks amazing in that last picture!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! :D Yeah...as you can probably tell I quite conflicted with it... Yes she is! She's gorgeous!

      Delete

Leave a comment! I'd love hearing from you!